Rich and Adrienne - Little Bird Bakery
This buttery beauty employs a simple French ratio and is a real treat. We use Manx whey butter which is so flavoursome.
500g Strong white Laxey Flour - King or Queen
20g fresh or 10g instant dried yeast
2 free range Manx eggs lightly beaten
200g of warm Manx full cream milk
50g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
100g IOM Creamery whey butter - very soft
1) Dissolve the yeast into the warm milk in a larger bowl. If using instant/ dried yeast please allow it to stand for 5 minutes for yeast to strengthen. Then weigh add the dry ingredients on top of the wet then robustly mix in to make a slightly dry, shaggy dough.
2) Stand for five minutes, then add;
3) Add salt and sugar then chunk by chunk add the very soft whey butter on top
4) Now knead the butter into the dough for 10 seconds, shape into a ball and cover
5) Leave to stand for 10 minutes
6) Repeat this process another three times, covering the bowl between kneading. Make sure all the butter is incorporated into the dough.
7) After the final knead, remove the dough. It should look smooth and elastic. If not, then a further kneading period is required until is take on this appearance. A windowpane test will be the best way to tell if the correct consistency has been achieved.
8) Now allow to prove for 35-45 minutes covered in a warm location. Switch on the oven to 200 centigrade
9) Once the bread has doubled in size, remove from the bowl and punch out the air.
10) Now divide into three equal sizes and roll each out into thick sausages slightly longer than a 900 gram loaf tin.
11) Plait the dough and place into a greased 900g loaf tin. Cover the tin with cling film and allow to prove a second time until the brioche rises slightly above the rim of the loaf tin.
12) Brush with egg wash and put into the hot oven remembering to add a cup of hot water for steam.
13) Bake for +/- 20 minutes until golden brown.The loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
14) Turn out of the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Our customers love our Victoria Sandwich with Isle of Man Creamery fresh cream