You could be just right
Position Laboratory Technician
Reports to: Assistant Technical Manager
Hours of Work: 6am – 3pm or 7am – 4pm on a rota basis (alternate weeks).
Monday-Friday (including bank hols except Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day)
Occasional out of hours callouts may be required in emergency situations
To maintain the day to day running of the laboratory providing an efficient and accurate testing service in compliance with CLAS standards.
1. To achieve the highest standards of quality and service by complying with the criteria laid down by the CLAS standard.
2. The accurate analysis, preparation and recording of results of various samples taken by production or process staff. This will include the raw milk intake for analysis.
3. To report all results to the appropriate departments in a timely fashion to allow the continuation of production.
4. monitor and control the legality of all products through the process of reproducibility and repeatability.
5. To analyse samples immediately on reception or to store appropriately until tested.
6. To carry out the calibrations on the various analysers in accordance with the programme.
7. To carry out the programme of accuracy monitoring checks. This includes the recording of temperature checks and volumes of dispensers and pipettes at appropriate frequencies.
8. To ensure the laboratory and all associated equipment is maintained in a suitably hygienic fashion and in a tidy manner to avoid any hazards or Health and Safety issues. This includes the washing of glassware and cleaning according to the schedule.
9. To inform the Technical Manager or Assistant Technical Manager of any anomalous results in calibrating or analysis of samples.
10. To swab various areas of the production departments according to schedule or by request. This involves the use of the ATP Monitor that must be checked before use and all results forwarded to the appropriate Manager. To carry out annual Listeria swabbing schedule.
11. To provide Isle of Man Creamery customers with accurate Certificates of Analysis upon request using collected data from various sources.
12. To pack samples being forwarded to external laboratory in an appropriate manner and to complete the sample request form.
13. Perform Calibration checks on all thermometers used throughout the factory. This includes process control thermometer checks as per schedules and reporting of these findings to Assistant Technical Manager.
14. Participation in the external quality assessment scheme ‘QM’ in Dairy Chemistry and use of this as a training exercise to continually strive to improve performance.
15. Keep the Assistant Technical Manager informed of stock control issues to ensure a ready supply of consumables within the laboratory.
16. Study the Laboratory Manual when possible, to ensure that all relevant aspects of the Quality System are adhered to and all procedures are followed as laid down.
17. To record tanker ticket volumes of milk intake onto the Laboratory Computer as they arrive at tanker reception.
18. To ensure that client confidentiality is adhered to at all times.
19. Report data onto laboratory computer for Team Meetings discussions and for other departmental analysis.
20. Perform ‘Goods Inwards Checks’ ensuring packaging of correct specification and authorising use by production.
21. In the event of both Technical Manager and Assistant Technical Manager absence, cover Laboratory management issues as detailed in both job descriptions. Any senior management roles in this instance would be covered by the Managing Director.
|Previous experience working in a laboratory||*|
|Skills, Abilities and Attitudes|
|Strong attention to detail in performance of analyses||*|
|Able to demonstrate a high level of accuracy when conducting tests||*|
|A working knowledge of CLAS requirements||*|
|The ability to work logically and systematically to procedures especially under pressure||*|
|The ability to work as part of a team or unsupervised||*|
|The ability to clearly communicate test results both written and verbally to relevant parties||*|
|A flexible attitude and willingness to help colleagues when required||*|
|Committed to personal development and continuous improvement||*|
|An understanding of the importance of confidentiality||*|
|Basic computer skills||*|
|Better||We actively seek and welcome ideas to continuously improve our performance, products and processes|
|Excellent||We supply our customers only with quality products and service that we can be proud of|
|Safe||We take great care of our people, premises and products|
|Trust||We are honest and open with each other and stakeholders, treating everyone with fairness and respect|
To apply please email HR@isleofmancreamery.com
Closing Date: 8th February 2023Apply now